Thursday, September 16, 2010

180º

For the past two days, there has been an Executive Council meeting for about 200 of the senior management of the company I work for (purposely unnamed here).  I was very involved with the off-site safety/security assessment, securing the facility, non-disclosure agreements, staffing, etc.  Busy couple of days but fun.  Today I parked in the exact same parking garage, in the exact same parking space, that I parked in for years when I worked for my old company.  But today was different.  VERY different.   Here are a few examples:

  • I wore a suit but that was unusual and not the norm
  • My beard was "on"
  • I went in early and liked it
  • The team I was working with was using the latest technology and equipment
  • Independent thinking and creativity was encouraged
  • I paid for my parking with a corporate credit card
  • Lunch was provided
  • The CEO was motivating and positive and encouraged thinking outside of the box
  • New bonus and pension plans were announced which represented a major investment in the employees and future of the company
  • My boss left me to run the security program and didn't micro-manage me
  • At the end of the program, the #2 in the company invited the "cast" to the stage.  This included all of the behind-the-scenes people who set up and coordinated the event.  We were honestly appreciated and received a huge round of applause (that was not prompted).
Who would have guessed that I would be where I am today?!  Certainly not me.  All those days that I parked in that spot, I never imagined the culture and atmosphere and position I am in today.  God is good.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

You deserve it Shawn!! I want you to know that your employees appreciated you...I really enjoyed working for you. I admire and respect you and I am very happy for you!

Shawn H said...

We made the most of it. Glad I was with you and the gang. We were all in it together and all seem happier now. Thanks for the kind words!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are so happy, Shawn. Truly.

Shawn H said...

Thank you my friend...