Saturday, July 9, 2011

Roughing It

Lucie and the family decided we needed a 9 man tent so they got one for me for Father's Day.  Anyone who knows us knows that my definition of "roughing it" is staying in a hotel that doesn't have room service.  So on Sunday night (we were all off Monday July 4), we put it up in the backyard.  Went up pretty quickly - especially since we had never done anything like that before.  They got me a battery powered fan and light for it too, but we had to put an electric fan out there due to the heat and humidity.  We all made our own nest in there with cushions and pillows and sleeping bags.  Of course being very careful to keep all bugs out.  We stayed in the house till about midnight before going out.  There were some power issues with the extension cord but pretty quickly we were all settled in and fine.  We kept the dogs in the house.  All was OK for a while but then I quickly discovered that my cushion was too thin (yes - the cushion was too thin.  I was not too heavy...).  So every pressure point seemed to hit the ground.  I slept off and on through the night.  Then it got too cold.  At 5:17 AM the birds started in so I packed up my pillow and went inside and went to bed.  Pretty fun though.  We will do it again and be better prepared.

No comments: