Sunday, April 22, 2012

If You Build It, They Will Come. Or Not.

That, my friends, is a carpenter bee trap.  As empty today as when I took it out of the box and hung it three days ago...  For those who don't know, carpenter bees are big, aggressive bees that hover around soft wood.  Worse than that, they drill dime sized holes into the wood.  And keep on drilling and drilling and drilling until they are way deep into the wood.  Once they are way in, and I am talking feet in sometimes, they lay their eggs.  Meanwhile, the males buzz and buzz around the openings.  They look like bumblebees but don't have stingers.  I was out there the other day with a tennis racquet swatter batting them down, then stepping on them.  I got over 25 but didn't even make a dent in the numbers.  So then I got some wasp spray and coated the holes and nailed a few bees.  That slowed them down but they kept coming.  New holes and fresh piles of sawdust every day.  Killing my split rail fence.  So I did some research and found this device.  Pretty simple concept - the bees go in the holes, find no one home, head for the light to get out, get trapped in the bottle.  Once it is full, just unscrew the bottle, put the cap back on and throw it away.  Good theory and apparently works for some people.  Not me.

No comments: