Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Who Needs A Talking Donkey?

It's been over a week since I updated the blog. Mostly because things have been slow. Good but slow. The pool is running fine and is beautiful. Right now it is only up to about 75ยบ but the air is cool too so it feels pretty good in it. A&E are wrapping up school. Ashleigh's friend got elected to the Student Body President - Ashleigh worked on her campaign. Elliott went to Hershey Park for the day yesterday with a school group and had a great time. He just got the results back for his state math scores and got the 2nd highest score in the school. Pretty good. We watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" about the guy who is born an old man and ages in reverse. Long but pretty good. We also went to a graduation party for a several of the church kids. That was a pretty good time and a beautiful day.

Now on to the good stuff. As you all know, I have been struggling with some employment issues. Just needing some direction and for God to open or close some doors. It is a challenge to try and figure out what I think I am supposed to do and what I am really supposed to do. So as I wrestled with different opportunities that came and went, I would ask God why in the world He doesn't speak to us like the old Bible days - when He talked on the mountain tops or through Balaam's donkey (Numbers 22:21). Elliott brought up a good point and said that God didn't speak audibly to every person back then and we shouldn't expect him too now. Very wise. So I started tuning in to how God could still communicate to me and give me direction. And He surely did. I had/have to be careful that I do not manipulate things to suit my expectations consciously or subconsciously. Lots of people have come to me with advice and told me what common knowledge would dictate. And there is value in that and we are encouraged to seek the counsel of wise people. But at the same time we have to follow our inner spirit and do what we know to be right. Common wisdom would say don't build an ark in the middle of the desert yet Noah did what he had to do. I know that God has plan - it is a matter of either being faithfully patient or stepping out in faith. It is not clear. But then as I tuned in, I began to notice that sermons at church seemed to directly address thoughts I was having, songs at church that we hadn't sung in a long time were sung that had specific and personal meaning to me, little devotions friends would send me or I would stumble upon had perfect words or phrases that I had been thinking or needed to hear, and Bible verses that couldn't have been more appropriate or timely came my way. Then to top it all off, "coincidentally" my daily Bible reading brought me to the book of Job. Whoo boy there is a book for ya. I cannot claim to be anything like Job or to have gone through what he did, but the lessons of that book are certainly relevant. All that to say that God is moving and I am encouraged. There are tough days for sure and I am looking forward to the day where I can re-tell this story with a final happy ending. But I want to give credit where it is due and acknowledge that God hasn't forgotten me and He doesn't need to send a burning bush to talk to me. He has surely provided miraculously and we are not wanting for anything. I just need to stay tuned in and not get distracted. So keep the prayers coming that I will know the right path to choose and will be patient when I need to be patient and step out when I need to step out.

Church is dismissed! ha ha

No comments: