Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Leg, Or Seven, To Stand On

To the right is a picture of the implementation of a good idea from a friend of mine. We have a bar type table out by the pool and I noticed the legs were rusting. I was afraid that some day a leg would rust through and I would find the table crumpled over some day. So Robin, uh, our friend, suggested I cut a section of PVC pipe and slide it over the legs to add support. Brilliant! I had some old PVC pipe so I cut it to length for each of the table's seven legs, drilled out drain notches in the bottom, and painted them. Then Elliott slid them on over the existing legs like sleeves while I lifted the table. Now if the leg disintegrates, it will still rest on the PVC pipe and supports. Nice.

Speaking of nice, what a nice couple of days we have had here. Even Lucie got in the pool which is saying a lot! It was warm and clear out and the pool water is 84 degrees. This morning there was a baby, 10-inch snake in the pool so I took that out and turned it loose. Then a few hours later I encountered big mama! Jasmine was standing perfectly still at attention staring into the bushes by the pool. I knew something was up so I went and took a look and there was a good sized snake in the bush. I don't think it was Buttercup unless she has been eating well! It was big! I told Jasmine to back away (I am sure the snake isn't poisonous but it would bite and that could lead to a problem). As soon as Jasmine moved that snake took off! But it didn't slow us down from swimming - even the dogs took a lap today. We cooked chicken and hot dogs on the grill for dinner.

Recapping the week; Elliott's finger continues to heal and is looking good. Fingernail-less but good. Ashleigh had a field hockey game this week and scored and for the first time this season her team didn't lose (they tied!). Lucie and I visited the 10 year old son of a friend of ours at the local children's hospital. He had a tumor on his thyroid which he had removed and had some complications but he is doing well and should be home and fine soon. I played hoops Thursday and had my usual average night. Great workout though - only 10 guys out so I had to run all night. Someone also pointed out that if you look at the Hale Family Web Page on any other browser but Internet Explorer, the fonts get increasingly bigger until you cannot even see the page. I thought I saw that once on a hand-held browser I used to access my site once but didn't give it another thought. I was able to see my site via the Mozilla browser and saw what a mess it was. I am not very good compiling code but I found the problem and fixed it. The rest of the week was pretty quiet with me running around doing errands for Lucie as she gets ready for Vacation Bible School.

On a VERY positive note, I had a short telephone interview this week for a great job I applied for and I have an interview with them Tuesday morning at 10. Keep me in prayer about that. I am VERY excited about this and it could be a great opportunity. A lot of things are lining up just right and I am very optimistic. I will post more after the interview.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Robin sounds like one smart cookie! You sure are lucky to have a friend like her!