Thursday, July 9, 2009

Time To Dance


Above is the M5J airsoft gun my friend sent me for my birthday. But don't let the word "airsoft" fool you: it shoots hard plastic balls at about 400 feet per second (a .22 bullet travels at about 1200 fps) and is fully automatic. Battery charged with a clip that holds 68 rounds. It is heavy metal. So who will be doing the dancing? The squirrels. I haven't mentioned them much of late because they had the upper hand on me for a while. They managed to defeat my squirrel proof bird feeder AND got into my metal bird food can. That can is the step type where you step on the pedal to open the lid. The squirrels managed to chew through the plastic hinge and take the lid off. So I bungied a heavy chunk of concrete to the lid and they still managed to get it open. I had been shooting at the squirrels with my paintball gun (about 300 fps) but by the time I got the air tank screwed on , Jasmine would be jumping around and would scare the squirrels off (the paintballs are egg based and she likes to eat them). This new gun will fire instantly. Woohoo!

Been a busy week at Vacation Bible School. I went in with Lucie on Monday to help that morning with the audio visual stuff in the sound booth and it turned into a week long engagement. Over 150 kids per day plus an additional 50 or so workers. At some points we have video from the laptop running, DVDs, streaming music from the Internet, wireless and handheld mics, two song displaying software programs and two iPods. Throw in a couple of flash drives and cable swapping and I and my helper are like a couple of octopodes back there! (And yes, "octopodes" is the correct plural word for octopus - not octopuses or octopi!). It is quite a production but it is running very smoothly thanks to a LOT of helpers.

The weather has been so dry and beautiful lately. The pool is doing very well. Ashleigh is going to a free defensive driving class on Saturday which will help to bank some points and lower her insurance premiums.

I replaced the router power cord and am able to get back on the Internet but not wirelessly. The wifi component burned out. So I bought a replacement router on eBay for $40 (the power cable alone from Radio Shack was $40 so I am returning that). Elliott is struggling without his xBox online but he is getting by.

Still waiting for more employment news which of course I will share upon receipt. Still optimistic.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I'm fairly certain standard .22 bullets go flying closer to the 1,200 fps range. Where did you hear 500? Unless you mean 500 meters per second but that equates to around 1600 fps which is only in the higher cranking .22 rounds.

Shawn H said...

You are correct sir. My first quick Google was talking about the drop off in fps after a certain measure. For example, even after X yards, a .22 caliber bullet is traveling at about 500 fps. Shoddy research on my part.

mikesipodmini said...

Yes I am correct. Yes you did shoddy research. But still, I think you just pulled a number out of your butt. If you really researched (even slightly like you said) the fps at a certain distance you would have listed those findings. But you didn't. So you lied. Lying is not acceptable.

Shawn H said...

I can't find the original Google page I quickly looked at but a quick glance at this one shows 550 fps for a .22 caliber AIR PELLET GUN. I will correct the original blog spot out of respect for your future generations...