Tuesday, March 30, 2010

All (Sore) Thumbs

Saturday was a beautiful (but chilly) day here so I thought I would do some yard work. It is kind of hard to explain but at the bottom of the fence around the pool we have that black edging stuff holding back the rocks. The edging had bowed and bent and rocks were spilling out and it looked terrible. Very wavy and uneven. So I decided to get some pressure treated wood and line the bottom of the fence. If you know me, you know I am now asking for trouble. My older and younger brothers got the mechanical skills. So I went to Home Depot and got my lumber and some rebar and went to work. First I had to pull the rock back away from the fence and level out the bottom for the wood. Mocha decided she wanted to get involved with that so she piled in, on, under and over and "helped." She took my hat twice and both gloves once. And she got stuck once and I had to pull her out from under the bottom rail of the fence where she had dug herself into a trench. Anyway, I measured my wood and cut it and went to put it in place and of course it was too long so I had to cut it again. Did that, got it in place and screwed in between two of the fence posts. Nice. Then I decided I liked the look of the black edging so I thought I would tack that on the outside of the wood I had just placed. Problem was, there was green wire fencing in the way. Every time I tried to hold the nail in place between the green fence grid, I would pound my finger or the fence or the wood or, on occasion, the actual nail itself. Finally, I got it on. Having learned my lesson, I put the black edging piece on BEFORE I put the plank in place the next time. That one I also cut too long and had to cut it again. Repeat those steps for two more sections and that is my story... But when it was done, I had a nice, straight edge at the bottom of the fence and the rocks are being held in place. I also pounded some rebar in on the outside of the planks to hold them from sliding out. That went OK but I probably maintained the same swing to strike ratio - about 4 swings to an actual hit.

After that I sharpened the mower blade, recharged the battery, changed the oil and air filter, and then edged and mowed. Spread the first Scotts treatment too. It has been rainy for a good day now so that should help distribute the Scotts and launch me into another season of the greenest lawn in the 'hood.

4 comments:

Robin said...

You forgot to mention the part about the sod from your really great friends!! ha ha I am sure that will help your green lawn status too!!

Anonymous said...

Would love to see a Easter blog from a man I know to be a religious and loyal man.

Check out this video. Would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFKj7oFp2s&feature=related

Happy Easter to you and your family.

SP

Anonymous said...

Meant to say...."AN Easter Blog from a man I know to be a religious and loyal man"....to his God and to his family.

Really would like to see something from you. Even in regard to the attached video..."Easter's True Meaning" or whatever else it is that you would like to share this Easter Holiday.

My best to you, Shawn. I am happy you came out of it okay. Stronger and more loyal.

Happy Easter.

Shawn H said...

Hmmm, blog on demand? Interesting. I would ask everyone who reads my blog to suggest a topic but then what would I do on the fourth day...?! ha ha I may come up with something Easter related tomorrow but I don't think that on that topic (or arguably any topic) I would have anything fresh to add. Our Pastor showed a much more graphic video a few weeks ago (a mini Passion of the Christ) but I guess it cannot be graphic enough. And the story can't be stressed too many times.

I was going to make a remark about coming through some of life's adventures and how they can make you more stronger. I need to think on that some more. Some of what we encounter in life does change us - it may put things in a different perspective and even cause career and focus changes. Some things bring out more of who we were already. Some things are humbling experiences and some things have lasting effects that must be addressed every day. I may work on sharing some thoughts on that tomorrow. Definitely makes you think about the purpose of why things happen. If I don't post tomorrow, then I will another time.Some day...