Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Get Your Act Together Boy

And here we have a depiction of Elliott recently... Monday was his first day of lacrosse practice and he announced THAT DAY he needed a mouth guard and cleats. So at 7 o'clock at night, we are off to Dick's. On Tuesday morning, he took the wrong set of books to class so I had to detour my way to the high school to bring them to him. Then around 8:30 last night, he realizes that he must have left his bag of books at the lacrosse practice field! Fortunately, his coach had found it and he will retrieve it today.

He is really liking lacrosse so far and seems to have a "handle" on ball and stick control.

Meanwhile, Lucie's car was making a terrible racket under the hood. I correctly diagnosed it as a bad water pump so we got that fixed yesterday - and did a bunch of other tune up stuff on it. It is a 2001 Rav 4 with 90,000 miles so it should have plenty of life in it. It sounded and felt like a new car last night when we got it back. I am telling people that we bought Lucie's car again with our tax money.

The glaciers around the yard are finally melting away. Patches of grass are poking through and the roads in the development are rut free. One good thing about a snow covered yard - you can find the dog poop a lot easier...

Speaking of, Mocha turned 4 months old on the first. She continues to grow by the hour. Still kind of bitey now but very smart and learns quickly. I can walk her and Britni on the same Y-split lead now. I let her sleep outside her crate in our bedroom while Lucie was away this weekend and she did really good. I have a Mocha Cam aimed at her during the day so Lucie can check on her over the internet.

Ashleigh had her first interview for a summer job at a doctor's office. She had to make a resume and meet with a couple of people. That seemed to go well. She won the first game of indoor lacrosse playoffs but then they lost in the semi-finals. Now she starts high school lacrosse.

Lucie had a good time at winter camp with some church kids. She didn't come back wiped out like in the past.

All else is good with me at work. I caught a knee to my thigh/knee area at basketball last week which knocked me out of playing for the night. It is still sore to the touch but I will be back this week. At least I will have an excuse for my lack of mobility...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mocha Cam was "feeling and thought provoking". Is that something people do? Leave their pets in small crates like that all day? Not being judgemental here...honestly. Just was taken aback by the image of the little pup being left in the small crate all day. Hope he is having a good life and that you are enjoying your new pet.

Shawn H said...

I don't know if I love or hate the "Anonymous" posting option but I guess it gives people a good shield to hide behind when voicing their undeducated opinions. Not sure what the quotes around "feeling and thought provoking" are supposed to represent. But Mocha is not in a small crate all day. If you would have taken some time to do some research, you would have found that first, Mocha is a SHE not a HE. Next, every veterinarian will recommend crate training for dogs. Her crate is the appropriate size for her. Dogs are pack animals and enjoy sleeping in dens. She can stretch out and often goes in there on her own when we leave the door open. It is not used for punishment and she sees it as her own private room. It is also a safe place to keep her from chewing wires or getting into something that could hurt her. She marches in there in the mornings and doesn't cry or fight it. She is not left in there all day - Lucie comes home at lunch every day and lets her run around and eat. And Lucie is off on Fridays so she is "free" all day. Google "crate training" and get educated. She is having a great life and we love her. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Boy, you are surprisingly very touchy. Anonymous posting is the word chosen by the site for people who do not have a google account or own blogger account. Correct? Certainly wasn't hiding behind some uneducated opinion (check your spelling which I know was merely just a typo as you were typing fast out of anger). This is anonymous is not anyone giving you a hard time...this anonymous came to your defense from the puppy mill attack. I was making an observation that the crate seemed small. I also said that I hope that he (my mistake...she) was having a good life and that you all are enjoying your new pet after suffering the loss of your beloved Jasmine. Peace.

Shawn H said...

I guess I am still a little touchy from the puppy mill post but thank you for your defense. I do my homework and talk with our vet and have some clue as to what I am doing. She can stand and turn around and stretch out in her crate. She isn't stuffed in there. Now that may change in a few more days...By the way, there is a button to actually enter your name but Anonymous works.

Anonymous said...

Nahh, posting my name might make you feel bad. We are buds and you have given me a hard time here. I may elude to it the next time I see you...but then you'll feel bad so maybe I won't. Enjoy your dog. A new puppy. What is better than that?

I do promise not to post under anonymous anymore. I do promise not to post at all.

Shawn H said...

You will be happy to know that we picked up a bigger crate today. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said he had one in his basement he wasn't using. So Mocha will sleep in the current one at night, and we will use this bigger one during the day. Not much bigger but a little. I told him I had an anonymous friend giving me a hard time... ha ha No hard feelings. Thanks.