Saturday, March 20, 2010

Making Money By Spending Money

About two weeks ago I bought a Blu Ray player (Lucie leaving town the day we got our tax return was NOT a good idea!). Come to find out, some BR movies are recorded in Tru HD sound - a new sound format my stereo receiver couldn't handle (I thought). One night we sat down to watch a movie only to find the receiver couldn't process the sound so we had a great experience visually, but the sound was terrible. That HAD to be corrected so I bought (on wicked sale online) a new receiver. While waiting for it to arrive, I was reading the owner's manual online and found that there was a setting on the BR player to compensate for that sound issue. I went home, set it, and the old receiver was pumping out the sound! The receiver was delivered Thursday but with no justification for it, I did the unthinkable and decided to return it. Before we left to go do that, we got a flier in the mail for an electronics place that had my BR player on sale for $25 less than I bought mine for. Best Buy has a price matching guarantee so we headed out to return the receiver (to a store unnamed to protect the innocent) and to go to Best Buy (where I bought the BR player). After waiting forever to return the receiver, the returns person counted out the money due back to me... ERASE. I had an interesting story as to what happened here but Lucie made me delete it. Suffice it to say I made money on the return due to their online return policy even though I pointed out that they were giving me back more than I paid. Then off we went to Best Buy. No lines, no hassle, and the girl handed over the $25 difference. So it seems to make money, you have to spend it. Maybe the government is on to something!

Looks like another beautiful day today. 46ยบ in the pool and climbing. I have my list of stuff to do - vacuum up the leftover leaves, put out the hoses, saw off the stumps from the trees that went down over the winter and just generally clean up some stuff outside. Mocha has been digging some holes to China so I will fill them in too. Speaking of Mocha, I have the Tivo set to record anything with "Newfoundland" in the show title or description. We saw a great program last night on a 200 pound Newfie on duty in England as a lifeguard. That dog was amazing. It would swim out with a float and tow people back to shore. Mocha is sleeping in a BIGGER crate (for those who were concerned) overnight in the kitchen so we are all sleeping better.

The kids are at lacross practice this morning. Lucie and I are going to a birthday party tonight and taking it easy on Sunday.

6 comments:

Robin said...

My best money making adventure, by far, was when Alex broke his nose at youth camp. Initially, my out of pocket expenses were around $750. It took a lot of diligence and time, but in the end, I ended up getting all of that money back, plus an additional $300ish. (can't remember exact amounts) Because the incident occurred at youth camp, their policy was to pay all out of pocket expenses plus an additional amount. Being a heavily insured family, our hospital indemnity policy kicked in an additional $100 or so. So all tolled, it was a profitable endeavor. We started plotting what Jillian would break at the next year's camp. . .

Shawn H said...

Now that you mention it, I made some money when I tore the ligaments in my ankle. We bought our first microwave with that money (they were expensive back then!). You may be on to something - personal injury for cash!

Anonymous said...

Such schemers.....(for religious folk)...

:)

Anonymous said...

....and thank goodness Mocha received a housing upgrade. The larger condo is likely more her style ;)

SP

Robin said...

When I broke my ankle I made $100with the same indemnity policy. I would have made more except my delay in going to the ER also delayed my casting and it happened outside the 72 hour time limit. Live and learn.

Shawn H said...

The next Mocha upgrade is going to require a permit from the county...