Saturday, March 27, 2010

Home Away From Home

Last night my mom called with the news that I guess I had been expecting to hear some day but still wasn't prepared for - our "home away from home" was being sold. Those of you who know us know about the Cafe - the house built on pilings on the Piscataqua River between Maine and New Hampshire. It was built by my great, great grandfather and kept in the family for many years. It was an actual Cafe at one point but was used as a vacation home by friends and family for the last several years. My uncle invested sacrificially into its upkeep and each year my aunt would call asking us which week we wanted to book for our summer vacation. As you can imagine, a wooden structure built above the salt water requires constant attention and maintenance. My aunt and uncle have reached a point where they are ready to enjoy a well earned retirement and it just isn't possible for them, or any of us, to continue its upkeep. There is property on land to the left of the picture above that will be sold too. I remember mowing that grass for my old great Uncle Ray on that side and storing the mower on the hardwood floor in the Cafe. Lucie and I had our wedding reception there and lived on the shore side for a while when we were first married. The view is spectacular and that Cafe represents the best memories for us. Ashleigh and Elliott caught their first fish off the point there and spent hours and hours flipping over rocks with their cousins catching crabs (and sometimes the crabs catching them!). Countless times the call, "Meet you at the Cafe" meant food and fun was waiting to be had. After a long drive north, the sight of the Cafe meant we were home. And when the time came too quickly to leave, seeing the Cafe in the rear view mirror meant a return to reality and thoughts of when we could come back home again. I am so grateful for the times we got to spend there and for my family - past generations and present. The Cafe represents the very best definition of family, generosity, laughter, sharing, compassion, hard work, and rest. Ultimately of course home is where the heart is but a part of my heart will always be there.

12 comments:

Robin said...

I know I already commented on your Facebook post of this same blog, but I feel sorry that you didn't get any comments about it. It is so heartfelt and touching. I know what a loss this will be for your family. Fingers crossed that you get to go one more time this summer!

Shawn H said...

Thanks. I mostly write the blog for myself so I don't feel bad if I don't get any comments. In fact, I just noticed I have had over 10,000 visits since I started! That is pretty good but I am fine just venting and writing even if no one reads or replies. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I read it but didn't post at first. It seemed rather personal. But, having read it for a second time, I felt a response was in order...it is always hard to see things change..especially the things that mean the most. That cafe on the water obviously holds some very special memories for you and your family. Memories that you will hold on to forever. But, you are right about one thing...one very important thing...home is where the heart is....and your heart is obviously with your family. Create new memories, in new places, that will last a lifetime.

Best,
SP

Robin said...

You have gotten 18 hits on your blog since last night when you commented to me. Seems like you have a huge following that you aren't even aware of. Perhaps a movie deal is forthcoming!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Shawn...you've even hired someone to count your visits!! I see you are expanding your blog business!! Be sure to subtract Robin's visits; it may skew the results.

Shawn H said...

Ha ha ha All counting and posting here is strictly on a volunteer basis. I guess with so many visits, I should write more so I don't disappoint anyone!

Robin said...

I love how the comments always end up on a completely different subject than the blog material.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...let's see. Shawn wrote about a family home being sold that holds great memories and feeling a sense of sadness about that change. Anonymous SP wrote about understanding how hard it is to lose something that holds wonderful memories. Robin wrote about the lack of comments to the blog posting and then writes about counting the number of vists to the blog site. Now...who changed the subject?? The one who's counting visits and comments...for whatever reason. I'm getting bored. I liked the original topic not the silly comments by one of your fans.

Shawn H said...

I wrote a new entry. This one has run its course...

Shawn H said...

I was just looking back over this (even though I said it had run its course) and I realized I didn't thank Sarah for the kind words. We have had good times in other places and I hope no one was offended if they thought that I meant that this was the only place where good times were had. I am sure more good memories will be made and have been made.

pappou said...

I was stunned and saddened to hear of the Amazeen property, including the Piscataqua Café, was for sale.
I had written an article about the Cafe for Rye Reflections, an on-line magazine at www.ryereflections, in August, 2008, titled:"One-day opening of Café puts visitors back in time." The wonderful photographs I was permitted to take provide evidence of this extraordinary "oasis" of history.
Shawn has put "The heart" of the cafe into words. Not only is it a part of the Amazeen family, it is special to all of us who have been privileged to share the unique experience of visiting with family and friends.
If and when the sale goes through, it will be the first time in over 300 years, there will not be the family name Amazeen, on the list of residents of New Castle.

Bill Pappou Drew

pappou said...

I was stunned and saddened to hear of the Amazeen property, including the Piscataqua Café, was for sale.
I had written an article about the Cafe for Rye Reflections, an on-line magazine at www.ryereflections.org, in August, 2008, titled:"One-day opening of Café puts visitors back in time." The wonderful photographs I was permitted to take provide evidence of this extraordinary "oasis" of history. You can reach it directly, here: http://tinyurl.com/4trr7r
Shawn has put "The heart" of the cafe into words. Not only is it a part of the Amazeen family, it is special to all of us who have been privileged to share the unique experience of visiting with family and friends.
If and when the sale goes through, it will be the first time in over 300 years, there will not be the family name Amazeen, on the list of residents of New Castle.

Bill Pappou Drew