Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just My Luck

My trusty Magellan GPS has been locking up and freezing on me lately and new maps are no longer available for it. So I have been doing a LOT of research to find a replacement unit. I love everything about the Magellans except they don't update their maps often. What good is the GPS if the maps are old? So I have been reading and looking and today I found the perfect unit at Radio Shack. A Sony NV-U94T. Has all the stuff the more expensive units have plus a 5 inch screen, Sony name, new maps, etc. AND 50% off. I played around with it in the store and really liked it. So I came home and read some more including reviews and it seemed like the way to go. I went back to Radio Shack to get it and the dude tells me that Sony discontinued it. "No way!" says I. I was just on the Sony site reading all about it. So I go back to the Sony site, and sure enough, it is discontinued! Great. I got on an online chat with two Sony people and sure enough, they no longer will be making GPS units and are unsure if future maps will be available! So now my dilemma is do I wait and see if prices drop further (it is available at other online places) and live with current maps that will eventually get outdated or just scrub this mission? I wrote to the map software maker (there is one map maker that supplies all of the GPS manufacturers with maps) and asked what the future holds and will wait and see what they say.

Pretty quiet day today. Lucie and Ashleigh are going to be tie-dying her lacrosse team practice shirts tonight. Woo hoo...

No comments: