Monday, March 2, 2009

Stickin Out Like A Sore Thumb

A few minutes before this picture was taken, my finger was in that glove! We took the kids to a friend's house to go sledding (it was very windy and cold but they had a good time - Lucie too!) and when we came home, the roll-up garage door was open. To make a long story short, the gear from the motor on the drive was causing the chain to bind up and not letting the door close or open properly. So I started working on it and it was cold and greasy so I had a pair of gloves on. Good thing. I was trying to free the chain from the gear and it suddenly popped - right onto my thumb! It trapped my thumb - what you can't see in the picture is the gear behind where my thumb was. Anyway, it hurt like a son of a gun and I had to wiggle to get my hand out of the glove. I went into the house to have Dr. Lucie patch me up. Like Ashleigh says, you know I am in trouble when I come in and ask, "Where's Mom...?!" It was bleeding pretty good and I should have gotten it stitched up probably but my health plan doesn't cover any medical treatment... ha ha. I was actually afraid I had cut the entire end of my thumb off but it is just a deep gash - into the nail too. So we rinsed it out (OUCH!) and put neosporin on it and bandaged it up. Ashleigh got me some ibuprofen. It is a throbbin' now but I think I will live. I am hoping to go to Sears tomorrow and just get a new motor. Meanwhile we are securing the garage door manually and will use another door for access.

I made a very encouraging networking call today. Too early to report on that but it was very positive and I should hear more Tuesday.

It is bitter cold out but the driveway is clear and the weather should warm up by the end of the week.

1 comment:

The Gman said...

you know I am in trouble when I come in and ask, "Where's Mom...?!"

NO DOUBT!