Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Christmas Bore-y


The title does not refer to the Hale family Christmas this year (I will come back to that), but to that waste-of-time movie, A Christmas Story. For some reason, that movie gets a lot of praise for being a Christmas classic and the TBS network runs it repeatedly 24 hours in a row. For the life of me I don't know why. It is tedious, boring, slow paced, and really has no point. It is hard for me to give it credit as a great family movie when one of the central themes involves foul language. Maybe I don't get it. I didn't get Napolean Dynamite either but at least there were a few funny lines in that movie.

So after struggling through that movie, and even hoping maybe something in the credits would give it redemptive value (but finding nothing amusing there either), I decided to clear my mental palate with a viewing of Rudolph and the Land of Misfit Toys. I had recorded it about two weeks ago thinking it was the original classic with the stop-motion characters and the Abominable Snowman. Turns out what I recorded was a 2001 cartoon of the original. That lasted about 30 seconds before ending up in the deleted list. We ended the night watching the finale of the Mt. Everest documentary which was captivating.

The day went fine. Thanks to all who sent/gave us gifts. We had a nice, slow paced time. For a while we had that channel on the TV with the burning log in the fireplace. We had a really nice time. Which reminds me - on Christmas Eve we watched Christmas Vacation. Now that is a classic movie. The weather was cool but nice and sunny - hardly felt Christmas-y but that was OK. We ate lots of ham and made several friends and family phone calls. Gave the dogs ham bones to chew on so they were occupied. We got ourselves a new telephone system for the house with verbal Caller ID - an electronic voice says the name of the caller. I am looking forward to hearing some of your names announced throughout the house. I may even load up some funny names ("Don't Answer" is calling....)

Today Lucie wants to go out and hit some post-Christmas specials. For lack of something better to do, I will go with her. And I am sure I will find that trimming the lawn with nail clippers would have been more productive and enjoyable...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, that's one page in the book! Get going while you have the time! Very funny!

Unknown said...

Mt Everest... documentary (debatable)... captivating (is a strong word. are you sure it applies).
I agree the christmas story is semiclassic but does not deserve to run on for a WHOLE day. I like Elf, but a full day of Elf would still be a bit much.