Monday, June 9, 2008

The Heat is On


Basketball was pretty good Thursday night. Just 8 people came so we played continually 4 on 4 for a few hours. I did OK. I am enjoying the mobility without any knee pain. My back was a little sore but fine the next day.

We had a busy weekend despite the heat being in the mid to upper 90º’s! Friday night we went with some friends to get some supplies for a church work day. The kids were at youth group and Elliott went to a sleepover afterwards. Saturday morning was pretty nice so I did some stuff around here, then went over to the church to help stain the cabin. I brought the heat with me because as soon as I got there, it heated up. Bad. It was so humid I was soaked to the bone with sweat. We all were. We got finished before 2 so I came home, showered, and hit the pool.

Later that afternoon we went to a graduation party and then downtown to Newark Day – they close down Main Street and a bunch of vendors set up down there. By the time we got there (6:30 PM) it had cooled down a lot so we had a good time with friends eating chicken wings and collecting free stuff given away by the vendors. The kids took off on their own for a while and we met up with them later. We ran into a lot of people we and the kids knew so that was good. A couple of our friends who went with us, including one in a dress, tried doing pull ups at the Marines booth. They did OK and that was fun. I didn’t try and took the advice of Clint Eastwood, “A man has to know his own limitations…”

We came back for some night time swimming with the torches lit up. That was pretty good. We were all wiped out after a long day but when we looked at the clock, it wasn’t even 10 o'clock yet!

It was hot again Sunday so after church we came back and hit the pool for the afternoon. It got up to 87º which is warm enough for Lucie to get in! Nice afternoon. Last year the pool didn’t get this warm until the end of June. Love the global warming! Sunday night was pretty quiet. Elliott and I watched the Celtics win game 2 of the NBA finals.

Over the weekend, two people complimented me on my weight loss. Since August of last year, I have lost about 30 pounds. Mostly since the cruise though (of course it was AFTER the cruise – I have said I want to re-stage those pictures with the new me!). Nothing fancy in terms of dieting or anything. Working out on the elliptical for 30 minutes, four days a week, basketball one night a week, eating less often and smaller portions. I feel really good. And according to at least two people, I must be looking better too.

This morning I ran around doing some errands for Lucie as she gets ready for VBS. Ashleigh helped her after her morning tests at school. Elliott had another half day and is heading over to other friends soon. Lucie is then going with our friend with the broken foot to get her cast cut off. I will stay here and shampoo the dogs. They have both been swimming in the pool but now they, and the house, smell like wet dogs…

No comments: