Saturday, June 28, 2008

16 Frogs and 1 Lobster


Yesterday we went to the beach. It was cloudy and pretty nice out so I figured with my base tan, I was fine and just needed tanning oil with no sunscreen. No girly umbrella for me either. I sat out and in the open air and watched people go by, read some throw-away magazines, and ate chicken drumsticks I had cooked up on the grill at home. We were there quite a long time. There were some big thunder rumbles and the lifeguards cleared everyone out of the water. For most people, that meant it was time to go home. But we held our ground. The wind picked up and it actually got cool out but it was fine. I stayed out in the cloud-covered sun and even took a little nappy. Finally, we decided to pack up and head for home. On the way we stopped at the Sonic drive-in where they bring your food to you on roller skates. That was fun. On the way back from there, we hit some hard, hard rain but we sure needed it and by then we weren't far from home. Once I got home, I realized that I had gotten some sun. If you look closely at the picture on the right, you might see me buried under the other red lobsters.... I slathered on the aloe and am doing OK today but it hurts to wrinkle my forehead and goosebumps are not fun.

This morning I went out and we set a new record for frogs in the pool. Actually, there were none in the pool, but when I took the lid off of one skimmer, there were 9 smiling frog faces looking up at me. I lifted out the basket and it was an explosion of popping hoppies. I went to the other skimmer and there were 7 in that one! I set them free too. A few of them made their way back into the pool so I netted them out. The dogs chased them around the yard but pretty much leave them alone. We only had one casualty and that guy had gotten sucked down the drain and beat up in the filter. It is always exciting to lift the skimmer lid off - we have found snakes and mice and huge spiders in there. Someone should make a clear lid... (they don't - I searched already).

I had an off night at basketball Thursday. One of those days where I couldn't shoot, pass, rebound... nothing. Funny how inconsistent I am. It was still a good workout and afterwards I jumped on the scale and hit a new recorded weight low - 212. That is down 33 pounds from my August 2007 high. Of course a lot of that loss Thursday was from sweating and I will pick up a few pounds after re-hydrating but the numbers don't lie.

It is super humid out today so I may just hang inside and do some inside work.

No comments: