Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Serious Morning

This morning I heard some voices outside and when I looked out, I saw a county police car in the road two houses up. I saw the older teenaged (20's?) boys in the driveway of the house on their cell phones talking loudly. Right then my neighbor drove by, parked in his driveway, and started walking toward them. I opened the window and asked him what was up and he said the police officer was doing CPR on someone at the house. So I threw on my shoes and ran down and met him at the end of their driveway where the activity was. By then, another county police car had arrived as well as an ambulance and another emergency response vehicle. They were actively performing chest compressions and had a ventilator bag on the person. The person was behind the car in the garage on the ground just inside the roll up door (the car was parked head-in). I talked to one of the boys and he said that the person was his mother's boyfriend. The boy said he heard the car running for a long time and finally got up to see what was going on. He opened the garage from the outside and saw the boyfriend laying behind the car with his head directly under the exhaust pipe. The police went in the house and opened the windows (the garage is attached to the house). It is a good thing not everyone in the house was killed! As they were loading the man on the stretcher, the boys' mother was driven up by a friend. Of course she went hysterical and was sobbing and terribly upset. When they took the man past me on the stretcher, his hands showed signs of rigor mortis setting in. What a tragic day in the neighborhood. I didn't know the guy at all and only saw him in his yard occasionally, but it is still a sad thing.

No comments: