Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dodging Tornados



Elliott and I did a little fishing this morning. Didn't catch anything but it is a good time.



Unfortunately, due to security reasons, my brother could not get us on to the navy yard for a tour and to bowl at the lanes there. So we went to our favorite sandwich shop downtown and got some sandwiches and parked along the river and had lunch. I told stories of growing up in the area and the kids seemed genuinely interested. Halfway through lunch, the alert warning tone came over the radio advising there was severe weather in the area. Later on we found that north of us a possible tornado touched down and there were many houses damaged and at least one person killed. My younger brother wound up heading home early to see if his place was OK.



We went to a candlepin bowling place and bowled there. For those of you who do not know what candlepin bowling is, I have included a picture below. Similar to "regular" bowling but you get three ball rolls per turn. My brother was ahead of me in the last frame by 10 pins so I just needed 10 to tie. For the first time of the day, I rolled a spare! I stepped up to the line, looking to knock over just one pin for sweet victory, and I gutter-balled it!! I couldn't believe it! So we ended up tied. When we got to the bowling alley, an old guy was backing out of a parking space and was making all sorts of gestures to me which I thought he meant he was trying to indicate that I could have his space. It was a handicapped space though so I just waited for him to complete his five point turn. He finally did, then proceeded to drive right up to the front of me and double flipped me off! I wasn't doing anything! So I actually had to drive around him to get by! I think he got in my head and messed up my game...



We went to the mall and got some pizzas and went back to where we are staying for supper. Just hung out and watched TV. It was windy and rainy and a good night to just stay inside.



Tomorrow looks like a nice day so we are going to go to my brother's new place and then to the lake. Probably back to our Maine friends' house for dinner.



Here is the promised bowling picture:






No comments: