Saturday, November 22, 2008

Back In The Saddle Again

As some of you may know, I am back to work again although for the moment, it is a temporary assignment. An engineering company that a couple of my friends work at added a security assessment division over a year ago. I contacted the division president and my friends were kind enough to bring my name up on occasion to him as the division grew. Every few months I would send an email to keep the communication open and our paths would cross every now and then in various security related venues. Then on Wednesday, I got a call from them saying they were working on a project and needed some help and they asked if I would come work with them. Of course I said yes so we worked out a quick contract and they said they couldn't guarantee me beyond 80 hours of work but it would be mutually beneficial. I said it was a great opportunity, and a rare one, where I could "test drive" the company before deciding to go to work for them or not (if an offer is made). I cannot go into details of what this particular project involves but it is related to a security vulnerability assessment and coordinating getting the data from that assessment to the Division of Homeland Security. Pretty interesting stuff and this company has targeted a unique market. Right up my alley in terms of the scope of the work and it is local. So I have put in about 20 hours in two days and it is going well. The office is small but their technology is current and the people are knowledgeable and professional. How refreshing...! I am very, very grateful to be working when many around me are facing uncertain times but hopefully I can be a witness of perseverance and not giving up. This company has said that if they are awarded more contracts, they would be interested in hiring me full time so I am really hoping that works out. Thanks for the prayers and thoughts and I will post more here when I can.

Meanwhile, Elliott caught my cold and that became bronchitis. He has missed most of the week at school but is not feeling too bad. His cough is persistent but not a body wracking one either. We are going to his basketball practice today and he will watch but not run around.

We got a dusting of snow yesterday. It looked very wintery while it was coming down. Pretty cold too with the high temperatures only in the 40ยบ's. Jasmine the golden retriever loves it. She goes out early in the morning and just lays out there in the freezing cold watching the leaves blow and the squirrels run around.

Today Lucie and some of her friends are going to a scrapbook class. I am going to work on the house of the husband of one of the friends while they are gone.

No comments: