Monday, November 10, 2008

Dog Gone

This morning as I was driving out of the 'hood, I saw about four county police cars and another 4 animal control trucks at a corner house (see picture above). The guy who lived there was a very large individual and he always had a bunch of dogs in his yard. He wasn't well liked in the community because he had a giant satellite dish in his yard and a chain link fence - both against the community regulations. Not to mention the dogs (although the yard and dogs always looked clean to me). I would walk by there when I walked my dogs and it was interesting to see what new dogs they had - they would all come charging out to the fence in a frenzy. Lately there were a couple of St. Bernards that grew really fast and it was fun to watch them get bigger almost every day. When I came back home today, I saw a news van from Philadelphia was there along with the police and animal control officers so I hooked up my dogs and went for a walk. I talked to the news woman who was covering the story and she said the owner of the house died of a heart attack this morning and when the ambulance arrived, they found the house filthy and full of dogs. Last count: 32 of them! The woman was asking me questions and the camera man was heading over to start recording when another woman pulled up with a better story - she said she was going to buy a dog from the people who lived in the house. So the news woman runs off and leaves me standing there and the other woman got interviewed on camera! The house is condemned now and the dogs are all gone. I bet their neighbors are happy.

Here is a link to the local story: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081110/NEWS/81110040

No comments: