Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Back In Line

Somewhere during my attempts with the cable company phone rep to get the inoperative cable modem working yesterday, I managed to screw up my router settings. I was finally able to get my old modem back on line but the desktop computer had some serious router issues. So I was on the phone with DLink (the router people) till 2:45 this morning! The wifi connection was fine but I had to bridge some connections and stand on one leg with with a coat hanger aimed out the window to get the desktop to get online. (It wasn't that bad but I had to go through some contortions to get it working right). The language issue with the DLink people was intolerable and I wound up thanking them for nothing and leaving it for the night (morning). Got up this morning and figured it out myself. Then it was time to make the 12 mile drive (one way) again to the only cable service office around here. I took my ticket number and then stood there in the waiting area watching the counter workers behind 7 service windows, (only 2 of which were open), barely move around and working with absolutely no sense of urgency or consideration. Haven't these people ever been in a waiting room and expected at least the appearance of efficiency? Finally my number was called and I returned the modem I had picked up about 24 hours earlier. The counter worker told me it was never added to my account (fine with me!) and this time they gave me a new one (the other one was in a bag). I made my way out of the crowded lobby and got home - only about a 2 hour experience... This modem fired up correctly and I am online again. However, there have already been a few T3 errors so I figure it is just a matter of time before I am locked up again.

Meanwhile, Elliott came home from school sick today and threw up. Probably something he ate but he has spent the day wiped out on the couch. Very nice spring like day here. It was rainy but almost 70 degrees. Tomorrow morning I am heading into Wilmington for a root canal but I don't think I need one. My tooth doesn't hurt so I am going to see what they think. Of course that is like asking Jiffy Lube if I really need to have all those things done that they checked off on the clipboard...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Jiffy Lube sentence and the coathangar sentence is pure brilliance and will sell! Get to a publisher's!
(You know it is me)