Thursday, December 4, 2008

Splits

Monday was a pretty laid back day. So laid back in fact I cannot remember what I did! I went into work on Tuesday and they asked me to extend my contract another 40 hours or so. Of course I said yes - I really enjoy working there and would love to go full time. I spent the day getting ready for an on-site presentation that was scheduled for Wednesday. But about halfway through the afternoon, the client funding the project temporarily halted work. So I had to wrap things up and call it a day. Pretty disappointing but I am optimistic that other projects will develop and they will have me back.

Wednesday I ran around doing a few odds and ends and finally got the dogs out for a walk. Oh, I just remembered what I did on Monday. The images from the laptop that Lucie uses at church would only project black and white on the big screen. So I tried updating drivers and this and that and then dragged another laptop in and lo and behold, projected images from that computer were also black and white. It turned out a pin on the connector cable was broken. Ran to WalMart and got another one and all is good now.

Today I was going to start in on the Christmas stuff after lunch. So I sat down with a big bowl of ROBIN's beans and thought I had found a little piece of bone in one bite. I was partially right except the piece was a piece of my filling! The tooth that I had fixed at the end of October broke and a piece of the filling came out. That exposed the nerve which was pretty sensitive. If you recall, I had work done and then a few days later I had to go back to get the filling ground down. I am convinced something was still amiss and the uneven filling acted as a wedge so each bite I took caused my tooth to crack a little more until it broke completely. The dentist took me right in and was all defensive that it wasn't their fault. They numbed me up and pulled out the little piece of broken tooth. They also admired the work done by my dentist in NH (Dr. Swallow - no joke!). But they said they couldn't do his type of work on my tooth and I need a root canal AND a crown. So they patched it up and were very nice and friendly and didn't charge me. About two hours later I felt the numbness wearing off and a sharp edge on my tooth. Sure enough, the temporary filling had fallen out (and undoubtedly ingested with a fork full of cheeseburger pasta...). But it doesn't hurt and I have an appointment for the canal work on Monday. I can't keep my tongue out of my broken tooth/filling hole!

Lucie got word that her uncle in Florida was very ill with tumors on his liver. It was an emotional time for her as he was like her father growing up, gave her away at our wedding, and besides her brother, represents her last living relative in the US. She has spoken with him a few times and he sounds better today. He is going home from the hospital tomorrow and will follow up with an oncologist for a treatment plan. He is 85 but looks and acts 60.

Had an OK night at hoops. Hit a few shots. Missed a few. But it was a good run.

Tomorrow I will start lugging the Christmas stuff upstairs and start setting that up.

Finally, how weird is that comment below on my "Rainy and Dreary" post? Comcast got flagged on a comment in my little ol' blog? I am not sure if it is good or bad but it is a little "X-File"-ish to me! I wrote back to them and explained that at least once a day I lose internet connection and have to power down and then power up my modem. I am convinced it is a problem with their lines as I see different noise error messages on the modem log. And I can go weekends with no problems. The problems generally only happen during business hours. They must be doing upgrades or other work. We'll see what happens...

No comments: