Saturday, December 20, 2008

Juggling

It has been a few busy days since my last posting. Let's see, where do I begin? Elliott told me late Tuesday night that he needed 32 sodas for a math league meet on Wednesday and that I needed to pick him up from school at 4:30. Of course I had the cable guy scheduled to come out on Wednesday between 3 and 5. But on the way to school Wednesday we stopped and got some cases of soda so that was fine. The cable guy hadn't come by 4 so I raced over and got Elliott. The guy called at 4:45 to say he was going to be 20 minutes late so I beat him home. He did some more testing and then started checking TV lines in the house. Completely unrelated to an internet modem problem I thought but he was determined. So he replaced some cables and ends and so forth. Finally, I had to tell him we had to go to church. He called his supervisor and put him on speakerphone and told him my problem. He gave the supervisor my address and what node I was on. Immediately the supervisor said that it was a known problem in my area and the tech should just come back to the office and turn his paperwork in to the diagnostic people so they could keep working on it. They didn't know why it was happening but it was happening. So ALL THIS TIME they have known of my problem but no one took 20 seconds to check their records and tell me it! I have been testing modems and cables and the router and had a tech out twice! What an inconsiderate, inefficient waste of my time! But now the real fun begins - now we know it is something outside of the house and nothing I can control, how long will this go on?

Anyway, Thursday was quiet here - I fixed some odds and ends and cleaned the garage some. Elliott had a game that night and for the first time all season, his team lead for a while! Elliott scored the first and only points of the first quarter for his team and ended up with 6 points. Again, he played well but during the last quarter, the other team started nailing 3-pointers and they lost 24-31. But they scored more points than any other game. He doesn't have another game till mid-January now.

I played OK that night. I felt great and had one good game where I hit a few jumpers. Mostly I stopped my guy from scoring and we won a few games.

Friday came around and after school I took the kids stocking stuffer shopping for Lucie. They had youth group that night so I dropped them off there and went to dinner with some friends from church. That was a fun time with lots of laughs. Tonight is the church banquet.

Lucie is doing better down in Florida but it is not easy. Her uncle got his first chemo treatment and tolerated that well but he is very weak overall. Lucie is showing his wife how to setup bathroom arrangements, transportation, feeding him, etc. Teach a man to fish... But Lucie's attitude is better and she has a good frame of mind. Part of the problem is that as much as she wants to be here, she is afraid of leaving them alone. She still has a few days and it will be fine.

No comments: