Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Parts Left Behind


A friend's car was overheating and he bought a new thermostat for it. It was a rainy day here so we made arrangements for us to replace the thermostat in my garage. In return, his wife agreed to make us dinner. Sounded like a good deal and it turned out to be a good deal. I got his car over here a couple of hours before him so it could cool down. While I waited for him to arrive and the engine to cool, I looked at his radiator fans. One was belt driven, the other electric. I ran a hot and a ground to the electric one and got nothing. So I pulled that out figuring that was at least part of his problems. When he arrived, we quickly replaced the thermostat. This is going to be hard to believe, but not only did I not drop any bolts, but I didn't injure myself, break anything else, have to run to the parts store for something and there were no parts left over! He then checked the fuse box under the hood and replaced a blown fuse labeled "ignition." Once everything was up and running and we were checking for leaks (none!), we decided to check the fan one more time. We re-connected it and it fired right up! Now how can that be when the bench test got nothing?! So we dropped that back into place and the engine temp was perfect.

I got what appeared to be a legitimate email response to one of my resume postings so I looked up the company. Another fee-based scam operation. Lots of negative testimonials about the company. I learned my lesson...

Ashleigh should have another lacrosse game today. It is cloudy and cool but not raining.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice, maybe you should think about a career change and become a grease monkey like my dad.