Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Are You My Father?

Last night I got a strange message on the home answering machine. It was from a girl in North Carolina who was looking for a Shawn Hale - who also happened to be her father... She said he had blue eyes, was in the Air Force, and used to live in Massachusetts. Isn't that just my luck? Why couldn't it have been a call from someone to let me know my real last name was 'Gates'? ha ha I called her back today and left her a message to keep on with her hunt - I was not her Daddy. It was kind of sad actually and certainly not a call you ever expect to get.

Meanwhile, I continue loading ISBN numbers on to the web trying to get some prices. I have gotten a few hits. It is like playing a slot machine - I enter the numbers, hit SEND, and see if I am a winner. It is strange what they want to buy - obscure, dated books, cookbooks, etc. When I get a hit, I then do some online research to see if the book is actually worth a lot more than they are willing to give me for it. I have done a few hundres books so far and should finish the rest tonight.

Ashleigh started double field hockey practice sessions today. She and Elliott went to Six Flags with the church youth group yesterday. It was pretty hot out but they had a great time. School starts for them next week (though for some dumb reason Ashleigh starts this Friday...).

Someone posted a comment in the Constituting blog post asking who Elliott was mimicking in the picture. Neither he nor I remember. They had plaques on the floor saying who was who but we don't recall.

I have an application under review right now. I got an initial email saying that I was qualified for the position I was applying for. Now to wait for the interview. I will post details when I can.

No comments: