Saturday, August 9, 2008

Cabling

This is going to be a long one:


This morning I was thinking of ways to save money and got thinking about the service bundling option that combines your cable TV, internet, and telephone service into one monthly bill. I had been thinking of switching over to digital cable anyway (no HBO or anything like that though) so I got online and chatted with a cable company rep. She told me some good things and after a quick review of our expenses, we would actually save $50 a month and get better phone service (unlimited long distance!), faster internet speed, and more channels (not that I need those but it won't hurt). I wrote the rep to NOT do anything but I would talk to Lucie and get back to them. As soon as I got off the online chat, our internet connection dumped and wouldn’t come back. Called the cable company and sure enough, the person I had chatted with had done the upgrade anyway which interrupted our connection! So this new cable company person on the phone told me there was an even better plan available. He restored my internet and I agreed to the new plan which included a rep coming out next Friday to install the digital phone service.

Off Elliott and I went to the cable place to get a digital box (we have never used one nor needed one with the basic cable we had). The person behind the counter handed over the unit (actually handed the unit through a bullet-resistant one-way door at the cable service center fortress) and we headed home. We did some other running around for the evening.

When we got home, I hooked up the digital converter box and called the number on the sheet to activate it. However, that number rang to a hotel reservation desk in St. Lucia (in the Caribbean!!!). That person said they get those calls all the time! So I called the cable company and this rep told me that I was given an HD converter box (which I didn't need) and it was going to cost me an additional $6.95 a month! Not only that, but even if we had the new box, it wouldn't be active until the following Friday when the guy came out to hook up the digital phone service! What?! So now the box has to go back and after a LONG day, we are no better off tonight then we were this morning! Except we are saving money I suppose.

Amazing how we really couldn’t get a straight answer from anybody at the cable company. They all seemed to mean well, and it will end happily, but it was kind of aggravating.

1 comment:

Nick said...

so are you getting a free Wii for doing the tripple play. I heard about it on the radio this week. And as for that 7 dollar HD box... I am pretty sure it's a scam.they charge you to get HD channels that are mostly free to everyone and most new tvs have an HD tuner in it so that box is overlap. What a rip