Friday, January 23, 2009

Gooney Bird

OK, so the picture at the right is not an actual Gooney Bird, but that is what I think of when I hear that term. And in basketball, a "gooney bird" is when you fake out your defender so badly, he goes flying by. Well, Elliott "goonied" the guy on him at his game tonight a bunch of times! Just a little head fake and that dude went flying by! Elliott played well although he missed a lot of open shots - shots he normally hits and was hitting in practice. His team came back from being down by 15 to being down by 1, but they lost by 3... They really could have beaten the other team! He outscored the guy on him and had a bunch of rebounds. His next game is Saturday morning.

I played pretty well myself at my basketball game night. A couple of old friends showed up so we had some good laughs and a good time. I hit a few deep jumpers and was happy. Someone poked me in the eye and knocked one of my new tri-focal lenses out but someone actually found it (!) and I popped it back in. It was a good night.

Its been quiet the past few days around here. I was on a mission to find a new pooper scooper. The old one snapped when I was trying too hard to scoop some frozen dog poop but I finally found a new one at Petco. During my searching, I found a reasonably priced remote thermometer for the pool at Wal-Mart. The probe (that drops into the pool water) on the last one stopped working and it cost as much to replace that wire as a whole new sending and receiving unit. It seems to be working well so far.

The other night I noticed one of the front lawn light bulbs was out. So I tried to replace it but the new bulb didn't light up. I pulled out a working bulb to test the new bulb and promptly burned my fingers! Actually, it wasn't promptly - it was so dang cold out I didn't feel how hot that bulb was until it scorched off my fingerprints! ha ha And it turned out it wasn't the bulb at all - the wiring was loose. All good now.

I had to make a return trip to the dreaded cable office to return the modem I leased for a month. Whatever the problem was, they fixed it and we have been solid online since January 6. My old modem is working fine so I returned the cable company rented one. Only had to wait a few minutes this time. Not too bad.

I am happy to see "24" and "Lost" back on TV. We have been getting some good laughs at "American Idol," "The Office," and "Worst Week."

That is about it. I sent my resume to a couple more places this week. One place will not work out (now that I found out more about it) but I am hopeful on the other one.

No comments: