Saturday, January 3, 2009

PC Nuked

Early this morning I was doing a little normal computer work and then went to bed around 2 AM. Got up around 8 to a blank computer screen. Dead. No error messages or warnings. Reboots did nothing, swapping hard drives, pulling the RAM - nothing. So I packed it up and took it to the shop. I was surprisingly calm, because I have it fully backed up. So they popped it open and saw one blown capacitor with a few more bulging. The computer is 6 years old and they said it was a proprietary board and extremely cost prohibitive to replace it. So we found a used computer in the shop for sale and we worked out cannibalizing some things from my old one and upgrading that used one. All of my data is intact - I just have to re-install all of my programs. And then tweak it to the way I like. That will take a while but I am fortunate I have the time right now. And it was much, much cheaper than buying a new one. AND it will be running XP Pro instead of the dreaded Vista.

Everything else has been quiet and normal. Getting together with friends, doing stuff with the kids, etc. I intended to take down the Christmas stuff today but got de-railed with the computer problem. So that will wait a week or so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dude... if only you talked to me sooner... at work we get computers all the time. Most have junk on them so if you wipe them you can have some or parts and recently i packed up a 6 foot high pallet of pc's. a few people in the office picked some for parts.