Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Cable Guy

I have read, and now fully believe, that exercise will help my back. So rather than lay on the heating pad for the day, I decided to tackle a job I have wanted to do for years. Recently, I have had internet issues and without getting too technical, the problem has to do with the signal strength coming into and out of the cable modem. I fixed the inbound issue a couple of years ago with a signal booster but a return signal booster (from the modem back to the cable company) is too expensive. My signals need boosting due to the number of splitters in the house for the TVs. Ideally, one dedicated cable should run from the street connection directly to the modem. However, I have a TV card in my computer so I need a splitter so I can watch that TV and get signal to the modem while online. So yesterday I went up in the attic (and found if I hang by my hands from the rafters, that stretches my back and makes it feel much better!) and ran a second cable line down into the computer room. I removed the splitter and now have a dedicated line to the PC TV and a separate one just to the cable modem. It actually went smoothly and I should have done it long ago. Now my signal strengths are well within the acceptable range (instead of pushing the limits) so I should be able to tolerate line noise much better without getting thrown offline. Time will tell...

So I was feeling pretty good while I was doing that - all contorted to reach wires in the attic and behind the big oak computer desk. I took a shower and drove over to pick up Ashleigh and about died. I am finding that sitting, and particularly driving, is terrible. So I got home, dropped down and stretched, and that helped for a while. On the way out of church last night, I hung from the church awning support frame for a few seconds and that helped. Perhaps I need a rack in my house (notice that is "a rack" and not "Iraq.")

Yesterday was national See You at the Pole Day. It is a day where Christian kids gather at their school flagpoles, before school, to pray for a few minutes. Ashleigh was the first one at her high school but then several other kids came and so did a few teachers. Very brave of her. Elliott missed his because of the timing and he couldn't be at two places at once. But he will join her next year.

Should be a quiet day today. Basketball tonight but there is no way I can play so I will go and stretch and maybe leave early.

No comments: