Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Take Your Snake To School Day

A few weeks ago I found a ring-necked snake drowned in the pool skimmer. I was put in contact with a University of Delaware professor in the Entomology Department who asked that I bring it in for their collection. He was away for a couple of weeks so I keep the snake in the freezer (just a little thing - the snake, not the freezer!). So I took it in yesterday. Oddly enough, yesterday morning there was a live Northern Brownsnake in the skimmer. He was alive so I turned him loose in the backyard. About 10 inches long or so. If I find another one, I will try and get another picture but I don't mind them running around the yard eating mice and bugs.

The darned solar panel on the roof leaked again. It is hard to glue a PVC joint once it is sealed and the 'proper' thing to do is to disconnect the pipes and re-seal them. Easier said than done. I am going ahead with closing down the pool today anyway. I can try and get it re-sealed later this fall or next spring. It was just a seepage anyway.

Ashleigh's team lost their first game of the season yesterday 3-1. They did pretty well but just couldn't seem to get some good shots off. Early in the varsity game, during a timeout, one of the refs yelled at all of us (20 or so) sitting on the sidelines that we needed to move to the other side of the field. What?! Never heard that one before and it made no sense. No one was crowding the sidelines or yelling or anything. We just line up our chairs with our backs to the sun and enjoy the game. She jinxed the team I guess.

We tried to watch the entire 3 hours of Heroes last night but Lucie and I fell asleep. She went on up to bed but after that nap, I was good for a while so I watched Boston Legal and a new comedy, Worst Week. Worst Week was pretty funny.

My back is sore again but I will go ahead with the pool closing - exercise seems to help it. I think I aggravated it by carrying some tables and full garbage bags after the church picnic and spreading 100 pounds of salt in the pool yesterday.

No comments: